Timing is everything, even when it comes to pre-wax treatments. From at-home care to making sure your wax is heated to the optimum wax temperature before you begin your treatments, we’ve got everything you need to know in one comprehensive guide.
Step One: Laying the Groundwork at Home
The foundation of a good wax experience starts even before your clients walk through the door. Pre-wax care isn'tan afterthought; it's a crucial step in ensuring a smooth experience. Remind them to always avoid sun exposure and spray tans before and directly after their appointment. Equally important is the length of hair growth prior to the session: a minimum of 3 weeks for those who shave and 4 weeks for those who wax. Couple this with regular exfoliation to best prepare the skin.
- What to Use: One of our faves is the Berodin Body Exfoliation Kit, complete with an all-natural body wash and exfoliating gloves. This dynamic duo not only pampers the skin but also readies it for the waxing process. Stress the significance of this ritual, as the exfoliation gloves coupled with a soothing body wash will get rid of dead skin cells and ensure soft, primed skin pre-wax.
- When to Use it: Exfoliate daily in between wax appointments by gently scrubbing from the neck down, focusing on any dry, flaky areas as well as waxed areas.
- Why We Love It: Glycolic acid gently exfoliates while preventing unsightly bumps and ingrown hairs, and Pine Essential Oil and Bladderwrack work together to cleanse, condition, and rejuvenate both body and mind.
Step Two: The Proper Pre-Wax Cleanse
One of the best ways to prep the skin is using a pre-wax cleanser. This will help to remove any surface oils, makeup, bacteria, pollution, and sweat from the area, leading to better results.
- What to Use: We recommend a Lavender Antiseptic Lotion. This water and alcohol-based solution will wipe away bacteria, oils, and any lingering residues from lotions and deodorants. The result? A pristine, fresh surface that serves as the ideal foundation for wax adhesion.
- When to Use It: Apply with cotton on any area to be waxed.
- Why We Love It: This blend excludes phthalates, sulfates, mineral oil, synthetic dyes, and fragrances – ensuring a formula that's pure, effective, and offers the invigorating benefits of cleansing the skin without harmful additives.
Step Three: The Benefits of Pre-Depilatory Oil
A pre-depilatory oil conditions the skin, setting the stage for a smooth and effective hair removal experience. By applying a small amount of pre-depilatory oil to the target area, you're not only facilitating better product release but also simplifying residue removal.
- What to Use: Berodin Jasmine Pre-Depilatory Oil is a versatile oil that is compatible with any of our signature waxes and boasts a potent blend of mineral oil and sweet almond oil. Whether applied pre-or post-wax, this oil ensures product release while also removing any excess wax after you are done.
- Where to Use: This is used from the neck down only, not on the face.
- When to Use It: Apply a very small amount to hands, rub together, and lightly distribute to the skin. If necessary, blot your hands prior to application
- Why We Love It: The light jasmine scent plus the way it soothes the skin and makes cleaning up a breeze.
The Right Temperature Every Time
We can’t emphasize enough that the key to a smooth, clean wax is temperature. One of the best things you can do pre-wax is to make sure you are using a quality wax warmer. Under heated wax goes on too thick and doesn’t remove the hair too well, which can lead to bruising. If the wax is too hot, it can burn the skin. A good warmer will heat both hard and soft wax evenly, and offer temperature settings, as you should always adjust based on room temperature. And don’t forget to invest in an appliance timer. Usually less than $50, you can set the timer to turn the wax on an hour before you will need it and off an hour after the last appointment for the day.