If your client is dealing with persistent redness and swelling, especially around the center of their face, forehead, and cheeks, they might have rosacea. This common skin condition tends to affect women as they age, though its exact cause remains unknown, however factors such as an overactive immune system, environmental influences, or heredity potentially play a role. Triggers for flare-ups include temperature extremes, hot or spicy foods, sun or wind exposure, emotional stress, and certain medications. In addition to the typical rosacea issues, some clients may even have Papulopustular Rosacea, a variant linked to acne. And while symptoms may come and go, we’re here to say long-term relief is possible with these pro tips that can help both at the salon and at home.
Where to Begin
As with everything, we are going to advise you to start by understanding their skin type. Remember the goal is to provide short and long term relief that enhances the overall appearance of their skin, boosts skin health and minimizes future flare ups. When suggesting products, talk with them about the benefits of botanicals and ingredients like lavender, chamomile, green tea, and geranium, which are all known for their calming and healing properties.
For those grappling with acne rosacea, recommend exploring skincare lines designed to relieve acne issues. Active ingredients such as tea tree, eucalyptus, and clary sage work effectively to fight bacteria, heal, and prevent breakouts. Encourage your client to use a serum specifically designed to address active breakouts, targeting inflammation, soothing redness, and conditioning the skin. A blemish control gel can work wonders for managing acne rosacea breakouts.
Added Salon Boost
When faced with a rosacea flare-up, you may be the first person they call. When they do try these ideas designed by the Tuel pros to get their skin back on track.
- Try a mixture of some of our most effective serums to provide relief. C Power brightens, fights aging, gently exfoliates, and protects, then work in a bit of Hydrate which will instantly infuse the skin with essential hydration to plump and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Then help soothe red irritated skin using Super Soothe which uses the power of ingredients such as Canadian willow bark, arnica, and lavender which will help quickly improve redness.
- If they are suffering from Papo Pustular Rosacea, use C Power + Rehab + Make Amends + Calm, and then spot treat with Clear It.
- During the nourish phase of their treatment, apply the Super Soothe Calming Mask, enriched with Canadian willow bark, arnica and lavender work in harmony to relieve temporary redness and inflammation from rosacea to acne and even sunburn. It’s ideal for reactive skin, although any skin type can benefit from its calming qualities.
At Home Tips
Remind clients to resist the temptation to overwork their skin during a rosacea flare up. Share these healing tips:
- Gentle Cleansing: Encourage them to cleanse their face morning and night using a double cleanser or a milk cleanser, always using lukewarm water to avoid aggravating rosacea.
- Consistent Moisturizing: Emphasize the importance of moisturizing, to keep the skin hydrated, while reducing irritation, peeling, and roughness.