We’ve got one thing on our mind with summer around the corner: swimsuit season. With bikini season in mind, even the busiest of us can fit in a few flat tummy workouts! So if you’re crunched for time, or if you just want to focus your workout routine on effective tummy exercises, listen up. We’ve come up with five core exercises that really work and tone the waist area. You haven’t heard the best part yet… you can do all of these exercises at home!
Perform each exercise for 20 seconds with 10-15 seconds of rest between each exercise. Rest for about 1:00 before repeating entire round. What we love about these flat tummy workouts is that you can build from here! Aim to complete each exercise for 1:00 repeating for three-to-five rounds.
Mountain ClimbersWhen it comes to performing easy ab workouts at home, mountain climbers top our list. There’s no equipment required, and they act as a cardio element.
- Start in plank position.
- Bring your right knee to chest, and step back.
- Switch legs, and bring your left knee to chest.
- Repeat quickly, like running in place!
Bicycle CrunchesEveryone knows the infamous bicycle crunch. Make sure to keep your stomach flat on this exercise, and your lower abs and obliques will get a great workout!
- Lie on the floor on your back; bring knees and feet off floor.
- Lift shoulder blades off the floor with hands behind head.
- Straighten left leg while keeping right leg at a 90 degree angle.
- Turn body to right, bringing the left elbow to right knee.
- Alternate sides.
Plank TwistThe plank twist doubles up on those obliques, but also strengthens your shoulders and lower back.
- Start in side plank on left side.
- Place right arm behind head, and rotate forward to try and touch elbow to floor.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat on right side after the allocated time.
Standing Side BendThe standing side bend is a good starting point because you can work up to add weight by holding dumbells. However, start with just your own bodyweight!
- Stand straight with hands at side.
- Bend at your waist, reach left hand down towards knees without moving hips.
- Keep core tight, and pull back to standing using your core, not hips.
- Alternate sides.
BurpeesCome on, we’d never leave out the burpee! They burn serious calories and get your heart rate up, what more could you ask for?
- Stand straight.
- Kneel into a squat position with hands on floor.
- Jump feet back into a pushup/plank position.
- Jump feet forward to return to kneeling position quickly.
- Raise hands overheard, and jump as high as possible into air.